Steve is the lead specialist for Student Renters Protection on our Campus Development Team. He is a licensed insurance professional. and plays a pivotal role in creating and nurturing our school relationships. A graduate of New Hampshire College with a B.S. in Sports Management and a native of the Boston area, Steve has a passion for everything Boston sports. Because of this, he is the resident GradGuard March Madness Bracket Administrator.
In our work with college and university officials we often hear two topics that are a great concern. Officials are concerned about bad press regarding student crime and campus safety. They also worry about media coverage regarding the growing cost of college.
GradGuard’s student benefits are at the intersection of these two topics. Fortunately, more schools than ever want to protect their students from financial losses and recognize that the cost of these financial losses are often greater than the cost of implementing a voluntary student benefits program.
Unlike student health insurance that is often required by schools, GradGuard’s renters protection program is voluntary and does not add to the published cost of college attendance.
Turning A Bad Event into a Positive Opportunity
Providing an opportunity for students to enroll in renters insurance prior to moving on campus may turn a bad event – losses to students that are a result of theft or damage – into an opportunity for the school to say: “we anticipated this problem and you can call GradGuard to remedy this issue. “
Renters insurance can help students and their families overcome unexpected events such as:
- Theft: According to Clery Data, there were over 15,000 Burglaries and Robberies on campuses with student housing in 2014. This does not include roughly 18,000 thefts on college campuses as well. 1
- Fire: In 2009-2013, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 3,870 structure fires in dormitories, fraternities, sororities, and barracks.2
- Water Damage: Sprinkler heads are often tripped by students, causing water damage ad a large bill to go along with it.
- Temporary Displacement: When a fire occurs within a residence hall, renters insurance will pay for student’s hotel accommodations.
- Medical Issue: Renters insurance will pay for the medical costs that stem from an insured’s negligence to another person, while on the residence premises.
For roughly $12/month, the GradGuard: Renters Insurance Plan can protect a student away at school from all of the above perils.