GradGuard is an authority in protecting the investment in higher education. By protecting students and their families from risks from college life, GradGuard helps reduce the cost of college and promote greater student success. GradGuard’s modern tuition and renters insurance programs are valuable student benefits available through a network of more than 300 colleges and universities. Since 2009, GradGuard’s insurance programs have protected more than 700,000 students and families. For more insights on #collegelife follow @GradGuard
Growth in campus fires and crimes confirm the value of GradGuard's renters insurance for college students.
Phoenix, Arizona, July 30, 2019 – More than 3 million college students are preparing to move into on-campus student housing and dorms. While living on campus is proven to help promote greater college completion, students are often living independently for the first time and are vulnerable to unique risks.
According to an analysis of nearly a decade of Clery Act reports on Campus Safety of more than 700 colleges and universities, there are annually more than 28,000 annual crime and safety incidents on college campuses. Over 95% of incidents are classified as burglaries on campuses and on average there are 1,999 fires reported within on-campus student housing.
With so much money at stake, John Fees, co-founder of GradGuard, “suggests that college students and families make a plan in case your students is a victim of theft, their property is damaged by a fire or water damage or if they are found responsible for unintentional damages they may cause.”
The Top 3 Reasons GradGuard’s Renters Insurance is a Smart Decision for College Students:
1) If you can’t afford to replace your backpack, bicycle or computer. Renters insurance can replace your stolen or damaged property. Renters insurance can cover those costs and help you get back to classes, without the added stress of a financial loss.
2) If your school does not replace stolen or damaged property. In a 2017 survey of student housing leaders, 98% of schools report that they do not replace stolen or damaged student property. Be sure to check with your school to see what their policy is and how much money is at risk.
3) If you can’t afford to pay for damages you cause. True renter’s insurance includes personal liability protection and can help pay for unintentional damages when a student cannot.
GradGuard’s renters insurance policy is designed for college students living both on or off-campus. GradGuard’s renters insurance contains an exclusive student endorsement that provides affordable coverage ideal for college life and provides both personal property and liability protection plus:
- Worldwide property coverage (for study abroad or mid-term trips);
- A low deductible starting at $100;
- Replacement cost coverage.
According to Fees, ‘For about 50-cents a day, students can protect their students’ belongings against losses, making renters insurance a must-have consideration for college families. In fact, 84% of state insurance commissioners recommend students obtain renters insurance. Whether you are living on or off-campus, college students and their families are smart to consider purchasing renter’s insurance before the start of school.”